Monday, November 24, 2008

To be thankful...

This time of year causes us to reflect on the things in life we are thankful for. At our annual Thanksgiving dinner (with 20 adults and 20 plus children this year), we always go around the table indivually and each mention something(s) that we appreciate. Although I usually mention my wonderful family, here are some work related things that give joy:

  • The opportunity to teach Ashiatsu and Bamboo-fusion to students. The look of joy on the students' faces when they finally figure out how to do the technique properly is truely priceless.
  • My clients. I love stories from my elderly clients (ages 80-94) about the way life was back when.
  • The appreciation from my clients when they tell me they don't know how they could live without me.
  • Knowing that I make people feel better, oftentimes both emotionally and physically. The clients sometimes just need time to vent, and I can listen to them without judgement.
  • Doing work that I really love. There is not much work-wise that places higher on my list than doing and teaching massage.
  • My flexible schedule. It allows me to take my girls to dance lessons and take vacations (albeit unpaid!) whenever I so choose.

I would encourage all to think about the things in life that bring them joy and reflect on, no matter how rotten life seems sometime, that there really is much to be thankful for.

No comments: